Print

Fire destroys Addis saloon

Written by Aaron Williams on . Posted in Local

addis-fire-edited-w photo-credit

After a day filled with celebrations of all kinds, with the 51st annual Addis Fireman’s Parade in the morning and the NFL Championship Super Bowl XLVII in the evening, disaster struck one Addis bar.

On Sunday, February 3, the Addis Fire Department received a call from the owner of Chuck’s Bar in Addis, reporting a fire in the bar across the street from hers, Mad Hog Saloon.

Addis Police Chief Ricky Anderson said he had personally driven by the Mad Hog Saloon, on 7931 First St. in Addis, formerly Addis Café, shortly after 10 p.m. and noticed nothing out of the ordinary, but the building was engulfed in flames by 11 p.m.

He said that the bar had closed for the evening by 10 p.m. and the bartender and owner were the last to leave the establishment.

Addis fire fighter Mike Landry said that the Addis Volunteer Fire Department was the first to respond after receiving a call of a building fire at 10:54 p.m.

Brusly Fire Chief Mike Alleman said that shortly afterward, around 11 p.m. Brusly Fire Department was called upon for assistance.

“When (Addis F.D.) got on scene, the building was pretty much totally involved, that’s why they called for us,” Alleman said. “We got on scene to assist and the inside of the building was already on fire. All the inside was burning… And the roof collapsed.

All of the inside of the building is a total loss.”

About an hour and a half into the battle with the fire, Port Allen Fire Department was called onto the scene for assistance, according to Port Allen Fire Chief Rick Boudreaux.

Boudreaux said that his crew arrived to assist with the fire around 12:30 a.m., and were on scene for nearly four hours.

Alleman said that the effort between the three departments was able to completely extinguish the fire before leaving the scene around 4 a.m. Monday morning.

“We protected until we could get the fire under control – we started somewhere between 10:30 and 11 p.m. and we didn’t wrap up from there until about 4 o’clock this morning,” said Alleman Monday afternoon in a phone interview. “The fire was pretty much contained in about in hour and a half, but we could not make entry like we wanted because the roof had collapsed. So we had to be very cautious to make sure nobody got hurt.”

Alleman said that no injuries were reported, and no bodies were found in the building.

“Everything went like clockwork,” he said.

He said that after investigation of the fire scene, officials found signs that the fire began in the bar’s kitchen area. He added that once the building’s gas was shut off, the engulfed building’s more troubled areas subsided and firefighters were able to get the fire under control.

“It’s a joint effort between three departments,” Alleman said. “That’s what we do in West Baton Rouge - we assist each other in mutual aid wherever necessary

“It worked out great for the departments, we did a good job.”

Leave your comments

0
terms and condition.

People in this conversation

Related Articles

Google traffic maps