Belle Chasse wins hard-fought victory over Panthers

Written by Claire Chenevert on .


After traveling to Belle Chasse Friday night, the Brusly Panthers walked away with a 61-43 loss. The Panthers had a total of 510 yards compared to the Cardinals’ 689.

Brusly’s Carlsel Alexander rushed for 234 yards and two touchdowns in the loss.

When asked what made Belle Chasse successful, Coach Willis said, “We did. We just didn’t tackle and didn’t run. They have some great athletes, but we could have also played better defensively.”

The game began with a touchdown for the Belle Chasse Cardinals on a 46-yard touchdown pass from the Cardinal’s Andrew Hicks to Terren Encalade. Encalade also scored on a 53-yard rushing touchdown for Belle Chasse, boosting the Cardinals’ lead to 14-0.

Brusly’s first touchdown came about halfway through the first quarter as Carlsel Alexander scored on a 5-yard run for the Panthers.

With the second quarter came the highest number of touchdowns for the Cardinals. Belle Chasse managed to score four times while Brusly only scored twice. With the Panthers only eight yards away from the goal line, Jaylon Green ran the ball into the end zone in the first minute of the second quarter to tie the game at 14-14.

“Green played well blocking and running the ball,” said Coach Erik Willis.

Belle Chasse then scored two touchdowns before Brusly’s next score - a 7-yard pass from Blake Manola to Kwanston Adkins as the Panthers tried to mount a comeback, bringing the score to 28-21. The Cardinals went on to score two more touchdowns, both by Encalade - one 24-yard run, the other a 33-yard reception from Hicks, opening the Belle Chasse lead to 42-21 by halftime.

Belle Chasse scored the only touchdown of the third quarter, but Brusly came back fighting in the fourth quarter.

Sam Williams made an 8-yard rushing touchdown at the beginning of the quarter, slightly closing the large gap, 49-29.

After a 55-yard and an 81-yard touchdown, both by Belle Chasse’s Devin Sylve, Alexander scored again for the Panthers bringing the score to 61-37. With only 23 seconds remaining on the clock, Connor Manola scored the final touchdown of the game.

“I was impressed with the way our offense kept fighting the whole game, but our defense had major issues,” said Coach Willis. “Defensively, we’re just not playing like we’re supposed to.”

Brusly opens up district play this week at University High in a very difficult test, as U-High sits at #3 in the state.

Leave your comments

terms and condition.
  • No comments found

Related Articles