Pels’ mistakes costly against Livonia

Written by Claire Chenevert on .


PortAllenLivonia-editedFriday night the Port Allen Pelicans hosted the Livonia Wildcats, and despite their initial 14-13 lead in the second quarter, the Pels were overcome 48-22.

One of Port Allen’s bright spots Friday was their budding star, DeMarcus Franklin, who rushed for 72 yards and scored all three of Port Allen’s touchdowns.

“He’s got a lot of room to improve, but we’re a young football team and he’s a heck of a football player,” said Coach Blanchard of Franklin. “He runs hard and plays hard like a lot of our kids do, but they just have to get better at it.”

The Pelicans came out strong in the first quarter, with Franklin scoring the first touchdown of the game. Livonia countered with a score of their own with 5:25 remaining in the first quarter, tying the score 6-6.

After a missed snap by Alex Hebert, Livonia’s Terry Basquine recovered the ball, placing the Wildcats in scoring position but a big tackle by Port Allen’s Marcus Keyes and Charles George prevented Livonia from scoring before the end of the first quarter.

In the beginning of the second quarter, the Wildcats scored, taking a lead over the Pelicans, 13-6. Anthony Bell returned the Livonia kick all the way to Livonia’s 26-yard line, setting up Franklin to rush into the end zone on the next play. After a successful 2-point conversion by Franklin, the Pelicans were ahead again 14-13.

However, the glory was short lived.

Before the clock could run down another minute, Livonia’s Orlando Gremillion caught a touchdown pass from quarterback Kerry Savoy.

After stalling the Pelicans’ offensive attack, Livonia was able to score again, opening up their lead 27-14.

Just before halftime, Alex Hebert completed passes to Telson Allen and Franklin, but the drive, and the half ended with an interception by Livonia’s Dedrick.

The Wildcats started the third quarter with another touchdown on their opening drive. When the Pelicans got possession of the ball again, a pitch by Hebert to Franklin was missed near the Pels’ 15-yard line, which was recovered by Livonia’s Russell Farris and taken into the end zone for a defensive touchdown.

Livonia’s Diante Bridgewater scored the Wildcats’ third touchdown of the quarter, widening their lead 48-14.

In the fourth quarter, Port Allen moved the ball slowly but steadily down the field and with 5:34 in the game, Franklin rushed 9 yards for a Pelicans touchdown, scoring the only touchdown of the last quarter.

“I’m proud of our guys; we came out punching, they punched back,” said Coach Blanchard. “They just got more licks in than we did. We’re young, and we didn’t execute, and they did.”

Leave your comments

terms and condition.
  • No comments found