Pels grab Homecoming win

Written by Claire Chenevert on .


The Port Allen Pelicans took on the Baker Buffalos for homecoming Friday night and walked away with a 23-6 victory, snapping their 3-game losing streak.

“They absolutely came out with intensity and emotion for homecoming,” said Port Allen Head Coach Guy Blanchard. “We didn’t execute perfectly, but defense played really good football. Overall, I’m very pleased with their efforts. We executed a lot better than they did and played a lot harder. Our kids deserved to win.”

Two big plays by freshman Jarious Robertson, an interception and an onside kick recovery, earned him the title of Pelicans’ MVP for the week.

Both teams came out fighting during the first quarter as a worthy battle between the two defensive lines left the scoreboard blank.

Port Allen was able to successfully move the ball downfield, but after a DeMarcus Franklin rush to Baker’s 34, a fumble in the backfield on the next play was recovered by Baker.

The Pels began the second quarter with the ball on Baker’s 9-yard line after a lengthy drive ended the first quarter in which runs by Franklin and quarterback Alex Hebert, as well as passes from Hebert to Lorenzo Osborne and KaRon Young left the team in scoring position.

Young began the second quarter with a touchdown for Port Allen and Franklin tacked on a two-point conversion for the home team, taking the lead 8-0.

Baker’s offense began to push back, as receiver Darius Neff caught a 16-yard pass putting them at Port Allen’s 24. Another pass, this time to Baker’s Kendrick Shavers scored for the Buffalos in the middle of the second quarter.

A strong defensive effort by Port Allen which included two timely sacks by Charles George, an interception by Jarious Robertson, and sacks by Marcus Keyes and Morris Miller helped to end the half without another score.

When the Pelicans made their way back to the field, they came out rejuvenated and ready to play. On their very first play, Franklin ran 66 yards for a touchdown, bringing the Port Allen lead to 14-6.

When Baker received the ball again, Anderson was sacked again simultaneously by Charles Mullins and Charles George, making it impossible for the Buffs to gain any yards. Port Allen got possession of the ball and almost immediately fumbled and recovered the ball.

After a couple of failed drives by Port Allen and Baker, the Pelicans took over at Baker’s 37 and settled for a field goal at the 5-yard line, earning three more points for the home team with 2:10 in the third quarter remaining.

During a Buffalo fourth down and long, Miller and Charles Mullins sacked Anderson, forcing them to turn over the ball at the 50.

Port Allen’s Kevin Ransom scored on a 34-yard run in the fourth quarter, increasing the Pelican lead to 23-6.

Jarious Robertson recovered the Pels’ onside kick, but neither team scored again for the remainder of the quarter leaving the final score 23-6.

Leave your comments

terms and condition.
  • No comments found