Port Allen residents have reported approximately 20 vehicle burglaries in the past month, though more are suspected to have occurred and not been reported, according to the Port Allen Police Department.
Several residents have caught thieves on camera, but no suspects have been identified at this time.
The suspects take anything of value from unlocked cars parked in driveways and under carports, especially guns and cash. In some cases, they have made off with bicycles and in one case the vehicle itself.
Saturday evening 11 “snatch and grab” burglaries were reported followed by four on Sunday, authorities said.
To keep yourself and your belongings safe, the Port Allen Police Department offered these tips:
- Lock your doors. These “snatch and grab” burglaries only happen to unlocked vehicles.
- Take valuables out of your vehicle, especially guns.
- If you see your vehicle has been rummaged through, even if no items were taken, report it. Authorities can obtain fingerprints from the items suspects have touched in your car.
- Keep lights on outside and in your garage.
- Do not confront a suspect if you hear or see them, call the police. Protecting property with lethal force is murder.
The Port Allen Police Department has additional resources monitoring the area including volunteer officers and members of other departments. The PAPD is also asking for the public’s help in identifying the suspects caught in these videos. If you have any information or may be able to identify a suspect, report it to the PAPD.